I study the nature and emergence of higher-order cognitive operations that distinguish human beings from other species and appear in the record of our descent during the Upper Paleolithic.
- Multimodal Communication (language, gesture, graphics, . . . ) in the Red Hen Lab
- Decision-Making (research in conjunction with Professor Mat McCubbins, USC).
- Cognitive Social Science, especially economics and political science.
- The Cognitive Science of Writing.
- Grammatical Constructions as Compressions.
- Conceptual Blending and Negotiation (in conjunction with DARPA and Aptima).
- Conceptual Blending and Robotics (in conjunction with the Army Research Laboratory)
- The Cognitive Science of Time and Space (supported by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters).